Members of Team Vault from The Vault Health and Fitness in Enterprise are lacing up their racing shoes for the upcoming season of competition.
The team will participate in both Spartan Races and regular flat races this year. Their first race was the 5K Rabbit Rainbow Race, a fundraiser for a new gazebo at the Joseph City Park, which was a senior project of Haven Johnson of Joseph Charter School.
Spartan races are cross-country “boot camp style” races and have become very popular with outdoor runners.
“All fitness levels are welcome in our team. We pair racers of similar skills and abilities,” said Vault owner and team member Noelle Horvath.
There are nine official members of Team Vault so far this year - though Horvath has received calls from 16 people who say they intend to join. Any member of The Vault Health and Fitness is welcome to join. There is no initiation fee beyond a Vault membership.
Special and regular training events include hill sprints, trail runs, track training, gym training, roll out sessions, yoga meet-ups, rock climbing trip and more. Upcoming events for team members are sent by text.
Team members need not attend any race to participate in team training. Some members race for time and a medal but “so far most go to enjoy themselves,” said Horvath.
The team is primarly interested in increased fitness, fun and a community of support.
“We train together and prepare for the races together and on race day we can carpool, share hotel costs and sometimes get a break on the race fees for entering as a team,” said Horvath.
Other racers are Horvath’s son, Kragon Justus, 5, of Enterprise; Patricia O’Leary of Enterprise; Diana Soto, 7, of Enterprise; Garrett Leo of Joseph; Jeff Weer of Enterprise; Kathleen Ellyn of Enterprise, Keisey VanDoozer of Joseph and Lukus Partney of La Grande.
VanDoozer will also be a personal trainer at The Vault Health and Fitness.
Other races the team has on its schedule:
• April 22: 8-10 mile, 24-29 obstacle Reebock Spartan Super (Seattle Super and Spartan Kid’s Race) at Snohomish, Wash., Meadow Wood Equestrian Center. Kids race is one-half to 1 mile.
• May 7: 12K Bloomsday Run in Spokane, Wash. (on paved road).
June 10: Sawtooth Relay in Stanley, Idaho. Length, 61.9 miles divided into 12 legs between six teammates. Each teammate runs about five miles, twice.
• July 1: 1 mile, 5k and 10K Lostine River Run beginning at Providence Academy in Lostine.
• July 29: Walk-On to Stop Diabetes in Enterprise.
• Aug. 19: 3-5 mile Spartan Portland Sprint and Spartan Kid’s Race in Washougal, Wash. The shortest Reebok Spartan Sprint on the schedule, 20 to 23 obstacles and a good place to start a Spartan adventure. Kid’s Spartan is one-half to 1 mile.
• Sept. 30: 12-14 mile Spartan Lake Tahoe Beast in North Lake Tahoe, Olympic Valley, Calif. More than 30 obstacles and a real beast of a course. Elevation 6,224-9,000 feet.