1914 EHS girls basketball team - the “Undefeated Booze Dodgers”
100 YEARS AGO
APRIL 5 1917
• After repeated efforts to organize a fire company in Enterprise, the city council Monday night started a move that, it is hoped, will effect the desired result. E.S. Ward was named fire chief, with authority to assemble a company with 14 members. Each member will receive $2 a month, with the requirement that he attend at least on drill and one meeting each month, and report at each fire during the period.
• No one should miss the best entertainment of the season, the operetta “Cinderella in Flowerland” to be given in the near future by the primary grades of the Enterprise school. Money is needed to swell the phonograph fund. All should attend The Princess Sunshine Ball.
• The state is likely to reopen the Minam hatchery and conduct it for the propagation of game fish instead of the commercial salmon, State Game Warden Carl D. Shoemaker said last week, when in the county with the official Oregon game pictures. If this is done, this county will be able to get more young trout planted in its streams and lakes, thus keeping fishing good. The hatchery in the past contributed nothing to fishing here, as it was devoted to hatching salmon which were released in the great rivers.
• Advertisement: Bottled milk, 8-1/2 cents a quart, delivered every morning. Phone Red 432.
70 YEARS AGO
• Don’t forget the pie social Friday night at the Hurricane Creek grange hall sponsored by the 4-H Jolly Girls sewing club and Alpine Stock club.
• The Imnaha people enjoyed a bountiful potluck dinner at the Imnaha school Friday. They also enjoyed an Easter sermon. Everyone present reported an enjoyable time.
• On account of sickness the play “Even Steven,” billed for April 11 has been postponed till further notice.
• In the steelhead fishing contest held in La Grande, S.J. McNeal of Wallowa is now in first place. With an 11 lb, 4 oz fish. Jim Fordice of Enterprise is second. Willard Collins of Wallowa is third.
• Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Martin have purchased the Edelweiss Inn at Wallowa Lake and the adjoining acreage and cabins from Walter Dutli. They plan extensive improvements and will operate the dance hall and rent out cabins through the summer season.
50 YEARS AGO
APRIL 6 1967
• The supply of water for the valley farmers this summer is looking better all the time, according to Don Baldwin, conservationist with the Soil Conservation Service in Enterprise. A survey of the snow pack in the high mountains was made last Saturday and revealed that the water content is well above the average for this time of the year and is far above the measurements taken on April 1 of last year.
• Wallowa launched their 1967 Track Campaign by trouncing the Joseph Eagles 109-26 in a dual meet held at Wallowa Monday afternoon. The Cougars captured all but three of the events and set a new field record in the 440-yard relay.
• Two of the earliest pictures taken in this county are views of encampments of the Nez Perce Indians. One taken at the foot of Wallowa Lake shows tepees on the slope of the moraine toward what is now Wahluna Terrace. The tepees of the Indians however, face toward the north rather than the south, sensibly avoiding the strong wind which often blows from the south down the length of the lake.
25 YEARS AGO
APRIL 9 1992
• Four Wallowa County athletes copped first place honors and one set a new meet record at the 20-team Umatilla High School meet held here last Saturday. Jake Roberts, a Joseph sophomore, was the record setter with a 2:04.27, first place time in the 800 meter run. The other champions were Richard Eoff and Lynn Jackson of Wallowa, and Amy Williams of Joseph.
• Plans to rebuild Jerry’s Main St. Market in Joseph, devastated by fire almost three weeks ago, have been apparently stalled by some type of negotiations between business owners Jerry and Jean Logosz and Fred Kaup, who still holds the contract on the building.
• Jill Tate, 16 of rural Burns, granddaughter of Fauna Ollis of Enterprise and the late Ester Ollis, was one of two youth who were sent to Emanuel Burn Center in Portland after being electrocuted while changing irrigation pipe March 29.