Bees, hornets, wasps and yellow jackets: everyone who spends time outdoors eventually encounters some type of stinging insect. When you're out hunting far from the nearest road and really far from the nearest hospital, knowing what to do and how to recognize a serious reaction to an insect bite could make the difference between life and death.

Most insect stings are painful, but cause only a local reaction that is not serious.

If you're stung by 10 or more stinging insects, the chance of having a toxic reaction is increased. A toxic reaction can cause dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, abdominal and muscle pain.

If you have had a serious reaction in the past, let your hunting partners know. You should carry injectable epinephrine (in the form of an EpiPen' or Anakit' which are available by prescription) at all times.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.