Wimer, Ore. -- A burning ember may be to blame for the fire that tore through a Wimer family's roof.

Homeowner Sue Ann Wardle said she and her husband were just about to go to bed when she heard a strange beeping noise. She traced the sound to the upstairs smoke alarm and found the roof of her Wimer home engulfed in flames.

She said without the smoke alarm going off when it did she and her husband may have not made it out.

"I don't believe that fire alarm would have awakened us. It would have been after the house was more fully enflamed," Wardle said.

25 firefighters rushed to the home around 10:30 Wednesday night. Evans Valley Fire Chief William Fuller said they suspect the fire started in the chimney. The couple had fire in their wood stove earlier that evening.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from doing major damage to the first and second floor, but water damage ruined almost everything in the house the family lived in for nearly four decades.

Now they're digging through the wreckage, and doing what they can to save precious memories.

"Lots of pictures, lots of old family furniture. We're fortunate," Walders said.

Even though the home where the Walder's raised their four children in is now unliveable.

"We won't leave. We'll rebuild something here. Roots go too far," she said.

Copyright KOBI-TV. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written permission.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.