Utilities biggest taxpayers on Wallowa County rolls

Wallowa County Assessor Gay Fregulia (left) and Treasurer Ernestine Kilgore mail statements to local property owners.

Primarily because of the $2.4 million bond levy passed by the voters of the Enterprise school district and because of the formation of a new tax district, taxes in Wallowa County have gone up 6 percent this year. Not counting the Enterprise bond and the Wallowa Lake Rural Fire Protection District, taxes went up 2.9 percent.

The assessed value of the county as a whole has increased in the past year about 2 percent from $456,251,698 to $465,504,299, said county assessor Gay Fregulia. The highest assessed values in the county belong to two utilities: Idaho Power and the Hells Canyon Dam at $36 million, Pacific Corps and its wire miles and installations at $11 million.

County treasurer Ernestine Kilgore anticipates, according to past years, that some 92 percent of $6,412,842.10 of the tax bills sent out by last Thursday, Oct. 17, will be paid within the fiscal year. Others will be sent a delinquent statement on the 15th of May, 2003 with a fine. She said that a very small number of the remaining 8 percent are actually foreclosed on.

Persons and businesses receiving their tax statements may pay the entire amount by Nov. 15 and receive a 3 percent discount. If 2/3 of the full amount is paid by Nov.15 they will receive a 2 percent discount. If the 1/3 payments are not paid on time there will be a penalty. Many people pay in three installments by the Nov. 15, Feb. 15 and May 15 payment dates.

Taxpayers from Wallowa County saved $141,652 last year by paying their taxes early.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.