Permits to cut a Christmas tree on the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest are available for sale at local Forest Service offices and several commercial outlets.

Permits cost $5 each and are valid for the cutting of one tree up to 20 feet high on national forest land. The permit does not authorize cutting on private, state or other federal lands.

The Forest Service Christmas tree program is designed for families, businesses, and institutions wishing to cut their own Christmas tree for decorating.

The Christmas tree permit should be securely attached to the tree trunk between the limbs and be visible during transport.

High clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles and traction devices are recommended when driving on mountain roads at this time of the year. Be prepared for unpredictable weather changes and check with local ranger stations for road conditions before traveling to the forest.

"Carry a forest map, snacks, water and dress warm," advises Kerry Sherman, Resource Specialist for the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest.

Christmas tree permits are available in Wallowa County at Wallowa Food City in Wallowa, Our Little Store in Enterprise; and Sports Corral in Joseph.

For more information, call the Wallowa Valley Visitor Center, 426- 4978.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.