Irene Duckett passed away quietly on January 21, 2020 in Reno, Neva- da. Her proudest accomplishment in life was having been married to Jack Duckett for 64 years. Together they had a wonderful life. They were pleased that all five of their daugh- ters graduated from college and became happy, independent wom- en. They were also delighted with their 14 grandchildren, many of whom spent summers working with

Irene and Jack at Duckett Welding in Prineville, Oregon.

Irene was born in a CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) camp in

Glacier Park. Her Dad, Platt Talbott, managed CCC crews and her Mom,

Alberta Holbrook Talbott, cooked and cleaned for those same crews.

Irene spent her first few years in Riggins, Idaho before the family moved

to the Lower Imnaha River then on to the Wallowa Valley. She attended

various grade schools in Wallowa County and graduated from Joseph

High School in 1948. Her Dad insisted that she work after graduation, so

she worked at the Bank in Enterprise for a year before marrying Jack and

moving to Imnaha.

Before long, Irene and Jack left Wallowa County in search of

adventures which took them to Phoenix, Arizona, Honey Dew,

California, Boise, Idaho, and Prineville, Oregon. Imnaha and Wallowa

County would always be home to them and they returned there often

to visit or live for short periods of time.

Irene was always a hard-worker. As a youngster she helped with the

family ranch and produce gardens. She was cooking for harvest crews

at the age of 12. She worked as a bookkeeper, a phone switchboard

operator, and helped at a gas station. She also worked as a school

secretary. As her daughters were growing up and moving out on their

own, Irene began moving out on her own as well. She owned and

operated The Fabric Shoppe and worked, for a time, as Certified Nurse’s

Aide before going to work full-time at Duckett Welding.

Irene was strong and determined. If you got cut, she would pour

turpentine on the wound and send you back to work. If the cut was deep,

she would use super glue to keep it closed and send you back to work.

She was once cutting metal for a customer when the saw broke and

fell on her leg. She was taken to the hospital, had the leg set, and went

back to work. (The man she was cutting steel for at the time came back

and purchased the saw at the machinery auction. He was so impressed

by Irene’s tenacity that he had to have the saw that broke her leg.)

After Jack passed away in May 2013, Irene lived with daughters in

Oregon, Montana, and South Carolina before settling into a place of

her own in a care facility in Nevada.

There will be no service or memorial per Irene’s wishes.

Irene and Jack requested that their ashes be intermingled and

that the daughters scatter the ashes at Imnaha where they would

always be home.

To plant a tree in memory of Irene Duckett as a living tribute, please visit Tribute Store.

Recommended for you

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.